ENGLEWOOD, Colo.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– In continued support of the communities and families affected by the devastation of Hurricane Harvey, The Western Union Company, a leader in global payment services, and The Western Union Foundation today activated a rapid response plan to ramp up accessibility of money transfer services in impacted areas of Texas, and pledged an increased contribution to the American Red Cross, with matching grants up to a combined total of $200,000. *
Western Union President and CEO, Hikmet Ersek said, “Our company is guided by a purpose of moving money for better and this drives every decision we make. This also means digging deep and moving rapidly on issues that are extremely critical to the communities we serve.
“To this end, we have mobilized a company-wide approach, engaging our Foundation, employees, business associates and hometown community to support those impacted by Hurricane Harvey.
“We know first-hand – operating in more than 200 countries and territories across the globe – that cash is vital to emergency relief, as it is the most effective way to help fund basic and immediate needs. To help meet these urgent needs in Texas, we are committed to enabling ways for people to receive funds quickly, when mainstream infrastructure has been disabled by natural disaster,” he said.
- Western Union® Agent Locations Rapid Response “Ready-to-Serve”** Plan:
- Approximately 1000 Agent locations are open in hurricane-impacted areas in Texas, and are currently serving those needing to both send and/or pick up cash. Some Agent locations have activated mobile units to offer financial services, including Western Union Money Transfer® service.
- Western Union is providing hardware support for Agent locations who may have lost or have had their equipment damaged in affected areas, so that they may quickly ramp up services, as soon as safety permits.
- Fee-Free Money Transfers Now Live: Effective Wednesday, August 30, Western Union digital channels – wu.com and its mobile app will offer $0 fee money transfers using promocode HELPTEXAS from the United States to Texas. Effective Sunday, August 27, Western Union enabled $0 fee money transfers when sending from the U.S. through Western Union Agent locations or telephone money transfers.
- Western Union Financial Support: Today, the Western Union Company has pledged to match the first $100,000 raised by Hurricane Harvey Telethon contributors in Denver. If you would like to donate, call 866-367-3001.
- The Western Union Foundation has donated $30,000 to the American Red Cross. The Western Union Foundation will also provide a 1:1 match of qualifying contributions from participating Western Union Agents and a 2:1 match from contributions made by Western Union employees in the United States, for an additional donation of up to $70,000.
- Fee-Free Red Cross Donations: Consumers who want to take advantage of fee-free donations to the American Red Cross at Western Union® Agent locations in the U.S. can complete the blue Payments section on the Western Union form, using “American Red Cross” as the Pay To recipient; “REDCROSS DC” as the Code City, along with “Hurricane Harvey Relief” in the Account field.
Western Union has a long history of being one of the lifelines for communities in need. In many instances, Western Union has been one of the few ways for people around the world to receive funds easily, with services available when no other infrastructure exists.
* The Western Union Foundation has already pledged $30,000; and an additional $70,000 for Agent and Employee matching. Western Union has pledged an additional $100,000 as a matching grant for funds raised by Hurricane Harvey Telethon contributors in Denver.
** Due to the severity of the floods, some Western Union Agent locations may not be immediately operational or possess sufficient funds.
About Western Union
The Western Union Company (NYSE: WU) is a leader in global payment services. Together with its Vigo, Orlandi Valuta, Pago Facil and Western Union Business Solutions branded payment services, Western Union provides consumers and businesses with fast, reliable and convenient ways to send and receive money around the world, to send payments and to purchase money orders. As of June 30, 2017, the Western Union, Vigo and Orlandi Valuta branded services were offered through a combined network of over 550,000 agent locations in 200 countries and territories and over 150,000 ATMs and kiosks, and included the capability to send money to billions of accounts. In 2016, The Western Union Company completed 268 million consumer-to-consumer transactions worldwide, moving $80 billion of principal between consumers, and 523 million business payments. For more information, visit www.westernunion.com.
About The Western Union Foundation
The Western Union Foundation is dedicated to creating a better world, where the ability to realize dreams through economic opportunity is not just a privilege for the few but a right for all. Through its signature program, Education for Better, and with the support of The Western Union Company, its employees, Agents, and business partners, The Western Union Foundation works to realize this vision by supporting education and disaster relief efforts as pathways toward a better future. Our combined social ventures efforts make life better for individuals, families and communities around the world. The Western Union Foundation has paid more than $111 million in charitable giving since its inception in 2001. These funds have been pledged in more than 137 countries and territories. The Western Union Foundation is a separate charitable corporation that is tax-exempt under §501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, contributions to which are tax-deductible for US income tax purposes. To learn more, visit www.westernunionfoundation.org, or Follow us on Twitter @TheWUFoundation.
View source version on businesswire.com: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170830005991/en/
Source: The Western Union Company
Western Union Contact:
Rachel Rogala, 1 720-332-2686
Global Corporate Communications
Sarah Meske, 1 720-332-2796